fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Folashodun Adebisi Shonubi" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Reply-To: "Mr. Folashodun Adebisi Shonubi" <email@example.com>
Date: Thu, 4 Jul 2019 03:43:00 +0800 (PHT)
Subject: Request For Partnership..
I sincerely apologize for intruding into your privacy by sending you such magnitude business proposal unsolicited through the internet knowing how unsafe the internet is. It might interest you to note that I got your contact from an agent's office and decided to communicate you seeking your consent in the context below.
On assumption of office on the 17th of October 2018 as the new Deputy Governor Operations Directorate, I discovered lots of illegal transactions executed by my predecessors. There is this floating sum of US$6,200,000.00 (Six Million, Two Hundred Thousand USA Dollars) which they couldn't conclude the transfer before been removed from office. I have the ability to re-profile this payment to you as a contract payment without any trace. I am proposing that we share this on a 50 - 50 bases after a successful conclusion.
If this is of interest to you, revert with your personal co-ordinates to enable me execute this deal without any further delay. Be assured that your image and personality will be highly protected. Everything has to be handled professionally and strictly confidential.
Feel free to ask question if there is anything you don't seem to understand concerning this and please delete this letter immediately after reading if of no interest to you. Further directives will follow immediately on receipt of your requested contact details.
Thanking you for your anticipated cooperation.
Mr. Folashodun Adebisi Shonubi
Deputy Governor C. B .N