fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "fund beneficiary" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Ebenezer N. Onyeagwu GROUP MANAGING DIRECTOR CEO" (may be fake)
Date: Thu, 27 Jun 2019 05:11:47 -0700
Subject: HELLO ...!
Dear Fund Beneficiary,
This is to bring to your notice that $10.5M was programmed on your name via ATM VISA CARD. The debit card can be used on any ATM machine all over the world or you can go to your bank to off-load the funds.
If interested in receiving your Visa card kindly reconfirm your name, address. contact phone number Others information will be communicating to you on next reply on how your card will be ship to you.
REPLY TO THIS EMAIL: firstname.lastname@example.org
Mr. Ebenezer N. Onyeagwu,
GROUP MANAGING DIRECTOR CEO, ZENITH BANK PLC.
TELEPHONE NUMBER # +2349021997719