fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a "dying widow" scam.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mrs. Daniella Kyle" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 19 Jun 2019 08:43:48 +0200
Subject: Dear beloved In Christ
Sorry to invade your privacy, I am Mrs. Daniella Kyle the wife of Mr.
Angelo Kyle, my husband worked with Central Bank Of Philippines for ten
years before he died in the year 2016. When my late husband was alive he
deposited sum amount of Money with china Bank in which the amount will be
declared to you once you respond to this message indicating your interest
in helping to receive the fund and use it for Gods work as my wish.
Presently, this money is still with the Bank, I am in a hospital in
Philippines receiving treatment and my doctor has confirmed to me that I
have just few days to live on earth due to my esophageal cancer.
Please I am choosing you to receive this money on my behalf and use it to
help the less privilege. Contact me on my private email for further
instruction so I can introduce you to the bank through my husbandâs
attorney for further direction before I pass away.
Here is my private email address please contact me now for further
direction. ( email@example.com)
Your Sister in Christ,
Mrs. Daniella Kyle