fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "transfer into your account" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Eobank Nig Plc <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 23:45:05 +0100
Subject: FINAL NOTIFICATION ON FOREIGN PAYMENT.
we have been waiting for you because the government brought your file to
to release your full payment in this quarter of the year 2019, but if
are not the person you should let us no so that we can send the file
and cancel the payment
We are working according to instruction here, your payment is coded we
donât have power to deduct a single penny from your amount, you should
know that you are not banking with our bank here, they brought your file
here for us to release your full payment of your money, and the
is to release your full payment and we should not deduct any single
from your money.
You should know what is going on around the world, fraud, money laundry
ant- terrorists,so international monetary fund (IMF), United Nation, and
the law of the bank here that any money above one million dollars must
up with document from court.
We have started opening of your account, it will take some hours because
is a very huge amount, so after we open your account today we will send
the information of your account, and direct you how you are going to
transfer to any account of your choice both your local account or
international account, because is online banking account you can
we are waiting for your call today, but you should send us your passport
any of your id card so that we can use it and open an online bank
here in our bank for you, so that you can transfer by yourself to any
account all over the world through online banking.
After we open the account we will instruct you how you are going to make
the transfer into your account .in anywhere in the world.
Call us immediately on our direct phone number 2348127024484, we are
waiting for your urgent.
Mrs. Herve Assah
For Ecobank Nig Plc
Director of foreign payment
ECOBANK NIGERIA PLC