fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "your urgent reply" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- "diplomatic agent" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: Mr John Paul <email@example.com>
Reply-To: Mr John Paul <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Tue, 18 Jun 2019 18:41:33 +0900 (JST)
Subject: United Nation Diplomat Agent in charge for your delivery
Your Urgent reply is needed.
I am Diplomat John Paul; United Nation Diplomat Agent in charge for your delivery. I have been trying to reach you about an hour now just to inform you about my successful arrival Florida International Airport USA with your consignment box containing USD 14,500,000.00 (Fourteen million Five hundred thousand Dollars) which I have been instructed by United Nation and the compensation award committee to be deliver to you. The Airport authority demanded for all the legal back up papers to prove to them that the fund is no way related with drug nor fraud money, I have presented the papers I handed to them and they are very much pleased with the papers I presented but the only thing that is still keeping me here is the airport delivery Tag which is not placed on the box.
one of the Airport Authority has advise that we get the delivery tag so that I can exit the airport immediately and make my delivery successful .I try to reason with them and they stated the delivery tag will cost us just 250 Dollars only and it placed on the box as that tag will enable me get to your house successfully without any interference.
Â As I can not afford to spend more time here due to other delivery I have to take care of, I have the documents backing up your consignment as I can accompany you to your bank were you will deposit the fund successfully with these papers without any stress. I have more vital paper with me but I can only present you the hard copy when I reach your house as that itâs the diplomatic rules.
You can direct the tag fee to our Head Office In Nigeria as they will Obtain the document and fast it to me, so that i will be release to deliver your boxÂ Please re-confirm your residential address to me to avoid mistake.
Your Full Name
Your Current address
Direct telephone Number
Closest Int. Airport
Upon confirmation of your details your will receive instruction on how to make the payment for the delivery tag that will be placed on the box. Once this is confirmed I will proceed with delivery immediately.
Looking forward to hearing from you and congratulations once again.
Diplomat John Paul
United Nation Diplomatic Agent
Cell Phone (501) 523-8135