fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Dr. Erol David Belgin" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Wed, 1 May 2019 05:51:26 -0700
Subject: PLEASE READ
Please permit me to use this little opportunity to deliver this important and urgent information to you, Sorry I use this medium to communicate with you concerning this privileged information I got from one of my patient here in our hospital, I am Dr. Erol David Belgin of Methodist hospital USA. Mrs. Brigitta Anna Fazekas has been diagnosed to have cancer of the Lungs. As a Christian she willing to donate her money to the less privilege, orphanage homes and the Church than allow wicked people to take all when she die. And want someone that can undertake this Task to help her fulfill her wish and that of her husband.
Lately she discovered that her late husband's relation know about the deposited money and they are happy that she will soon die so that they can take the money, so she will you give the claim information to you before she pass on to glory.
She will give you all the details that will assist you in getting the Funds deposited with the security Company. she deposited the total of US$5,600.000.00 (Five million Six Hundred Thousand united states dollars) in cash is with the security company in USA.As soon as you accept her offer she will direct you to my family Lawyer here in New York, who will assist you get the money transfer into your bank account without any delay and he will provide you with the deposit certificate to the fund.
Please if you are willing to accept this offer kindly furnish me with your details , Your name ,Contact Address and Phone number, She furnish you with further details about the money and hat you stand to benefit from the fund.
Please reply to my private email address: email@example.com
Dr. Erol David Belgin