fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "consignment " (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- "the diplomat " ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. X" <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 05 Apr 2019 23:41:00 -0700
Subject: YOUR ABANDONED ($41.5M) FUND AVAILABLE FOR TRANSFER,
We have finally succeeded in getting your abandoned package worthy of United states dollars funds amount of ($41.5M) which is from COMPENSATION AWARD COMMITTEE USA made as a drafted check/ATM CARD out on your bonifide name which is to be delivery with the help of Dr William Barr United States Attorney General USA which act as your Mr. foreign Attorney General representative here in USA.
So every necessary arrangement has been made successfully with the help of our bank Agent Mr Joel Crane of your package and every Documents guiding your delivery is well updated so you are advice to re-confirm your full delivery information to the bank Agent right now as he is currently at located International Airport with your consignment package, As he called our office this morning to inform me that he misplaced your delivery address which he has, so you will have to reconfirm your full contact details.
So you are advice to reconfirm your full delivery information to the diplomat and Email him with this email address:(firstname.lastname@example.org) or you can call him immediately :+1(305)832-1407 ,or send text message so as to have easy conversation with him and to enable you give him full direction to get your package delivered to you and safety and sound, Furthermore you are advice to be very fast as the bank Agent Mr Joel Crane has no time to waste due to his flight ticket, So the Information you are Required to Reconfirm to the Agent is as Follow.
1)Your Full Name
(2)Mobile Phone Number
(3)Current Home Address
(9) A Copy of Your I D For attached Identification perusal purpose.
As he is at located International Airport in country right now because of the Searching and Scanning of the package which made him to misplace your address So contact him to deliver your package first thing tomorrow morning possibly today, So get back to us immediately you contact the Agent to make sure that your package get to you without any hitch.
Please try to make sure that you contact him with this below:
Name- Bank Agent...Mr Joel Crane
Contact Email Address:email@example.com
Telephone Number :+1(305)832-1407 call me or text meassage.
So contact him to deliver your package first thing tomorrow morning possibly today,+1(305)832-1407 So get back to us immediately you contact the Bank Agent to make sure that your package has getting to you without any hitch, Furthermore remember the Bank Agent delivering the package does not know the content of that package , Because the Attorney which represented you registered it as a family value to avoid hitch during the delivery so unknown circumstances should you let him know the content of that package is to avoid lost of your package was Sign and Stamp by Federal Ministry of Justice to make sure that it is protected until it gets to you..
Rev. Michael Moore