fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "utmost confidentiality" (scammers urge victims to keep the transaction secret because they don't want anyone to point out to them that it is a scam)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- david turner. with this specified email:(firstname.lastname@example.org) and tell him that i have willed $5.400,000.00 (five (Gmail; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: Mrs.Adrian Bush. <email@example.com>
Date: Sat, 16 Feb 2019 23:33:22 -0800
Subject: Greetings to You!
Greetings to You!
How are you and your family? I hope you all are fine.I am very happy to read your profile. I am writing this mail to you with tears and sorrow from my heart, Life has a ways of changing your plans even if you are not ready for the change. Well I don't have any alternative than this medium through which I have contact you since internet correspondence is the option left for me. My full name is Adrian Bush. I am a widow, married without kid i was Born in the United Arab Emirates Dubai but American citizen.
I was diagnosed for cancer for about 2 years ago, immediately after the death of my husband, who has left me everything he worked for and because the doctors told me I will not live longer than some weeks because of my health, I decided to WILL/donate the sum of $5.400,000 (Five million four hundred thousand dollars) to you for the good work of humanity, and also to help the motherless and less privilege and also for the assistance of the widows.
I wish you all the best and may the good Lord bless you abundantly,and please use the funds well and always extend the good work to others.Contact my lawyer David Turner. with this specified Email:(firstname.lastname@example.org) and tell him that I have WILLED $5.400,000.00 (Five million four hundred thousand United State Dollars only) to you and I have also notified him. I know I don?t know you but I have been directed to do this. Thanks and God bless.I will appreciate your utmost confidentiality in this matter until the task is accomplished as I don't want anything that will jeopardize my last wish.You will kown the truth and the truth will set you free John 8:32