fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "from the desk of" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "transfer of your funds" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "million us dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "power of attorney" (with your bank details and a power of attorney form criminals sometimes empty bank accounts)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. RICO SISWANDI ARIOBUWONO" (may be fake)
Date: Sun, 28 Oct 2018 03:45:39 +0100
Subject: RE....ITS A BREAKING NEWS TODAY ON YOUR FUND PAYMENT NOW
(Rev) Arthur M Patti-son
The World Bank, Office of the Special
Representative to the UN
1 Dag Hammarskjold Plaza
885 2nd Avenue, 26th Floor
New York, NY 10017, U.S.A.
This letter is reaching you from the Desk Of Director CITI BANK OF AMERICA to notify you of a new Order on the release of your funds (worth 10.5 Million US Dollars) on your name. This Day dated dated 20th Day of OCTOBER 2018 . . We acknowledged an Official Letter of claim from One Mr. RICO SISWANDI ARIOBUWONO, Who reported that you have been sick and hospitalized for two months ago, Mr. RICO SISWANDI ARIOBUWONO standing as your Next of Kin and your Representative also your partner to Inherit your funds on your behalf in Indonesia
Mr. RICO SISWANDI ARIOBUWONO , Has forwarded below Bank Account for the final Transfer of your funds with an Instruction of Power of Attorney tendered to the Team of PT BANK ARTHA GRAHA INTERNATIONAL ,TBK Foreign Dept Reconciliation Committee
KINDLY VERIFY THE BELOW ACCOUNT INFORMATIONS:
P T BANK ARTHA GRAHA INTERNASIONAL, Tbk.
BANK ARTHA GRAHA.
PT Bank Artha Graha
GED.ARTHA GRAHA Lt.5 (SCBD) JL.JEND.
SUDIRMAN KAV.52-53 JAKARTA 12190
Jakarta Selatan -12190
Kawasan Niaga Terpadu Sudirman
CREDIT TO:FINANCIAL BANK SWIFT CODE:(0901002017)
Fun d Crediting ACCUNT NO (0093079622 )
Swift Telex: Number(0-01-000016-0000-20)
Amount (10.5 Million US DOLLARS)
I hereby wish to inform you that Your outstanding payment has been approved and ready to be paid VIA BANK TO BANK Wire Transfer , I Kindly advised that you are required urgently to Contact World Bank Credit Dept BOSTON USA On the Email ((email@example.com)) Here below is WORLD BANK CREDIT DEPT
BANK NAME: WORLD BANK CREDIT DEPT
ADDRESS: BOSTON USA
CONTACT PERSON: MRS DEBORAH CURRIS
DIRECTOR CREDIT AND TRANSFER DEPT
ELECTRONIC EMAIL (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Be informed that the WORK BANK CREDIT DIRECTOR is waiting for you to contact her immediately on this notice that Mr. RICO SISWANDI ARIOBUWONO is not your next of kin and that you are not aware of him so thet she will not transfer your funds to Mr. RICO SISWANDI ARIOBUWONO the delay is dangerous okay
Mr. RICO SISWANDI ARIOBUWONO came for your payment so do we go ahead on the Final Immediate Remitting of your funds into his Bank Account? Therefore we hereby await for your urgent response / Compliance to enable us decide on who( Mr. RICO SISWANDI ARIOBUWONO) to recommend to the Bank for Instant wire Transfer of the sum mention above
Carefully Note: We the Crediting Bank will not be left without no other option thank to credit and Release this funds into the Bank Account Presented to us by your Representative Mr. RICO SISWANDI ARIOBUWONO
Management and Executive Board
On Foreign Credit and Fund Transfer Dept
CITI BANK OF AMERICA INC