fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "waiting for your urgent response" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- "urgent assistance" (scammers rush victims so they don't have time to think properly)
- This email message is a next of kin scam.
Fraud email example:
From: muhamed isa <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Reply-To: muhamed isa <email@example.com>
Date: Sat, 20 Oct 2018 14:50:35 +0000 (UTC)
Subject: URGENT RESPONSE NEEDED.
My name is Mr Isa Muhamed , I got your address in Burkina Faso chamber of commerce through yahoo details. I need your urgent assistance in Transferring the sum of (22.5, 000,000) Million Dollars fund which Belongs to our deceased customer who died in A plane crash, since the Death of this our customer the money has been in our bank without Claim. I want to release the money to you as the deceased NEXT OF KIN For the benefit of both of us. By indicating your interest I will send you the full details on how the business will be executed. I need to Hear from you urgent so that I will give you more information regarding this transaction.
Waiting for your urgent response so that we will starts immediately.
Mr Isa Muhamed.