fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "to your nominated bank account" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advise to" (this email uses bad English)
- "abuja" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "MR . RUFUS ADEJORO(RTD)" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 19 Oct 2018 20:37:10 +0100
Subject: GOOD NEWS
OFFICE OF FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA.
PRESIDENTIAL COMPLEX BUILDING
Our Ref: FGN/PRE/VP/XNX/14/017
(GOOD NEWS YOUR FUND HAVE BEEN RELEASE BY PRESIDENT TODAY )
THIS LETTER IS FROM THE OFFICE OF AUTHORITY, IT IS MY PLEASURE TO BRING TO YOUR NOTICE OF THE APPROVAL OF YOUR LONG PENDING/UNPAID FUND, I WISH TO INFORM YOU THAT YOUR FUND WILL BE TRANSFER TO YOUR NOMINATED BANK ACCOUNT WITHIN 72 HOURS. I AM THE GENERAL MANAGER FINANCE ACCOUNTS OF FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA, I BELIEVE YOUR PAYMENT WILL BE CONCLUDED IMMEDIATELY I HEAR FROM YOUR APPOINTED REPRESENTATIVE AND YOU ARE ADVISE TO RECONFIRM YOUR DETAILS AND TELEPHONE NUMBER IMMEDIATELY.
BASED ON MY INVESTIGATION I NOTICED THAT YOU HAVE WASTED A LOT OF MONEY IN REGARDS TO THIS TRANSFER. I AM ADVISING YOU TO STOP ANY COMMUNICATION WITH ANY PERSON UNTIL YOU RECEIVE THIS FUND FROM MY OFFICE.
THIS OFFICE IS GIVEN YOU 100% GUARANTEE THAT YOU WILL RECEIVE YOUR FUND WITHIN 72 HOURS AS SOON AS YOU COMPLY WITH THE INSTRUCTIONS GIVEN TO YOU. CONGRATULATION IN ADVANCE ONCE MORE.REMEMBER THIS TRANSFER IS CONFIDENTIAL, DUE TO A LOT OF IMPERSONATORS, YOU ARE HOWEVER STRONGLY ADVICE IN YOUR OWN INTEREST TO STOP ANY COMMUNICATION WITH ANY OFFICE IF YOU NEED MY POWER TO HAVE YOUR FUND REMITTED TO YOU AS STATED ABOVE.
NOTE: THAT THE BANK IN-CHARGE IS UNITY BANK
AGAIN YOUR PENDING FUND HAVE BEEN RELEASE TODAY.
MR . RUFUS ADEJORO(RTD)
GENERAL MANAGER FINANCE ACCOUNTS
FEDERAL REPUBLIC OF NIGERIA.