fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "my direct line" (a "direct line" in a scam usually means an untraceable mobile phone number used by a scammer in an internet cafe, a redirection service number that forwards to a mobile or a free voicemailbox in a different country.)
- "firstname.lastname@example.org" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Federal Reserve Bank New York" (may be fake)
Date: Fri, 7 Sep 2018 15:17:20 +0400
Subject: The newly-sworn Janet L. Yellen, Chair
Federal Reserve Bank New York
Ref.: Payment Release Update.
Amount Valued: US$12,800,000.00.
Foreign Payment Allocation Security Code (US/A84PRFGN2018)
The newly-sworn Janet L. Yellen, Chair, Members since 1913, U.S. Federal Reserve Bank. You will get more information about me here. http://www.federalreserve.gov/aboutthefed/bios/board/yellen.htm
By means of this message, we wish to inform you that your hour of compensation and actualization has come after our meeting with the United Nations, Bank of America, and the Federal Reserve Bank officials, it has been agreed that your real approved funds valued US$10,000,000.00 and the compensation of US$2,800,000.00 (Total US$12,800,000.00) will now be processed and released to your Bank Account through Wire Transfer Department of the Federal Reserve Bank New York.
Once will Open your OnLine Non-Residential Bank Account, As soon as you contact them they will open the non-residential online account with our bank so that we can deposit your fund into it, that would enable you transfer your fund online into your residential private account online by your self, with your online account you can transfer your funds to any bank account of your choice all over the world.
NB: The document handling fee and adminstrative charges of $950 USDOLLAR are inevitable and cannot be deduct from your compensation fee based on Insurance Policy attached to your fund.
Call me on my direct Line at +234 9036677003 for any clearance needed..
Contact Account Officers Name: Mrs. Bishop Linda
according to succession of the government they said before you make any payment please contact the bank and ask them to give you your username and password of your online account you will see that it is dormant before you weren't any information or any money to them and please for security reason do not give any body or banking information and any amount you have lost before in transaction on internet apply to tell me amount so that they can add it to your line account once payment your fund will be activate after you weren't required for this instruction was given to you by the world bank of composition agreement from the faith that want to limit your fund into your personal account so that you will transfer the money yourself do not allow anybody to transfer for you and keep your online bank account details confidential.
for easy communication device to send them your contact phone number so they can reach you at all time.
We are looking forward to hearing from you.
We Anticipate your Kind Co-operation.
Janet L. Yellen, Chair.
Federal Reserve Bank New York