fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "fab" (may be fake)
Date: Wed, 5 Sep 2018 11:36:26 +0200
Subject: Loan for investments and projects financing.
I represent a group of company based in the Gulf Region with access to over $500 Million. We are seeking means of expanding and relocating our business interest abroad in the following sectors: Oil/Gas, Construction,Real Estate,Stock Speculation and Mining, Transportation, Health Sector and Tobacco, Communication Services,Aviation industry, Agriculture Forestry & Fishing, thus any sector.
If you have a solid background and idea of making good profit in any of the mentioned business sectors or any other VIABLE business in your country. Please write me for possible business co-operation. More so, we are ready to facilitate and fund any business that is capable of generating 4% annual return on investment (AROI)
I am available to discuss this proposal with you and to answer any questions you may have in regard to this investment. As soon as you give your positive response to this proposal, I will not hesitate in sending you the details information of this great investment partnership opportunity. Kindly contact us through this address(firstname.lastname@example.org)
look forward to discussing this opportunity further with you.