fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: First Bank Nig Plc<email@example.com>
Date: 27 Aug 2018 16:01:14 +0300
Subject: Your ATM Master Card.
First Bank of Nigeria Plc.
Head Office Address
Samuel Asabia House 35 Marina
P.O. Box 5216, Lagos, Nigeria.
We apologize for the delay on the delivery of your ATM VISA CARD
and all the inconveniences we might put you through, while we
were having some minor problems in uploading your fund transfer
into an ATM MASTER CARD for delivery. Which in all case not
meeting up with our delivery service. Once again we apologize.
Note that you have a registered ATM VISA CARD of ($6.400.000.00
USD) to be delivered to you by DHL Company. Having review all the
obstacles and problems surrounding the transfer of your ($6.400,
000.00 USD) Six Million Four Hundred Thousand United States
Dollars, We the Board of Directors (FIRST BANK PLC) ordered our
Foreign Payment Remittance Unit to issue you a CORPORATE VISA
CARD where your payment was uploaded few days ago.
Immediately we got your Payment uploaded into CORPORATE VISA
CARD, we ordered for the delivery of your ATM VISA CARD via DHL
Courier Company. Contact DHL COURIER COMPANY immediately with
your current details and delivery address as stated below:
YOUR FULL NAME:.............
YOUR HOUSE ADDRESS:............
YOUR CELL PHONE NUMBER:...
Below is the contact information of your ATM card delivery
Your DHL Courier Company.
Name. Director Richard Smith
They will proceed immediately to your Home Address as soon as
they receives your current delivery details.
Note. your ATM visa card withdrawing access PIN number is (2424)
take note, once you receive the ATM card take it to any ATM
teller machine or POS cash point around your area and slot the
card and enter the PIN number (2424) to activate and start
withdrawing thereafter, or you can ask your delivery agent to
activate the ATM card for you before leaving. Make sure you enter
the 4 digit code yourself for security reason. Finally, be
informed that we left an instruction to your delivery agent DHL,
for urgent delivery of your ATM Visa Card, immediately you
forward him the required information, feel free to get in touch
with him today.
Dr. Adesola Adeduntan
Director/Chief Executive Officer,
First Bank Nigeria Ltd.