fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 08:48:49 -0400
Subject: OUR GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY
OUR GOLDEN OPPORTUNITY
Let me start by introducing myself,I am Mr Abdul Uzun Manager of Bank
Of Africa Burkina faso.
I am writting you this letter based on the latest development at my Department which I will like to bring to your personal edification.(18.5 million U.S Dollars transfer claims).
This is a legitimate transaction and I agreed to offer you 40% of this money as my foreign partner after confirmation of the fund in your bank account, If you are interested, get back to me with the following
(2)Your occupation: â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦
(3)Your marital status: â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦
(4)Your full residential address: â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦
(5)Your private phone and fax number and your complete nameâ¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦â¦
As soon as I receive these data's, I will forward to you the application form which you will send to the bank, get back to me through this my private email address (firstname.lastname@example.org)
If you are interested then it is compulsory you reach me through my private email address below
Mr Abdul Uzun