fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "atm payment department" (this phrase is often used in the ATM card payment scam)
- "western union" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "money gram" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "courier company" (Courier companies mentioned in 419 scams are always fake. They will have you send money to them, but won't deliver anything. )
- "cotonou" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Western Union money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. It is the preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- MoneyGram money transfer is completely untraceable and therefore is *not* safe to use with anyone you do not know personally. Along with Western Union it is a preferred method of online criminals to collect money from their victims.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: <"Mr. X" <firstname.lastname@example.org>>
Date: Mon, 27 Aug 2018 13:22:56 +0100
Subject: YOU SETTLEMENT VISA CARD
Bank of America and United Bank African UBA,
ATM International credit Settlement.
Directorate of International Payment
This is officially notify you about your Fund that was supposed to be rendered to you via numerous
ways i.e, Courier Companies,Bank to Bank transfer, Visa Card /Master Card/Western Union Money
Transfers, and Banks wire transfer e.g. Due to this lost of Funds of ours which was suppose to be
given to you but failed to. So in this case, a beneficial meeting was held on the 28th Of February
2018 at the World Bank in Switzerland, which top officials and Central Bank Governors from different
countries in the world were present at the meeting, Which they discussed on how your Fund can be
given to you without any lost at this time.
Be informed that you have to stop any further communication with any other person(s) or office(s) to
avoid any hitches in receiving your ATM payment. In conclusion at the meeting, The President of
World Bank, Mr.Robert Bruce Zoellick, has strictly authorized 6 Banks in the World to deliver all
individual beneficiary Funds through courier companies. Your Fund which is truly $4.5 Million USD
(Four-Million, Five Hundred Thousand United States of America Dollars) which was listed among the
list of beneficiary list to be paid among all other beneficiaries in various countries in the world
to be paid via ATM MASTER
CARD. Below are the authorized Banks;
Bank of New York Mellon Corp/The (BK:New York)
Caja De Madrid/Madrid/Spain.
UBA Bank??/Benin Republic.
Banco di Santo Spirito/Rome/Italy.
Bank of America/USA.
Each of this Banks are to distribute 350 ATM MASTER CARDS to all beneficiaries in the World that are
to receive their compensation ATM CARD. So, this Bank (Bank of America) will send you your ATM CARD
which you will use to withdraw your money in any ATM machine in any part of the world, but the
maximum withdrawal is $50,000 USD per day, while minimum withdrawal is $20,000 USD per day. Note
that this ATM CARD of yours has been activated and a security pin code number will be issued to you
from this Bank as soon as you receive your Card for a safer withdrawal. Please contact the ATM CARD
payment department Manager Mr.Matthew T. McGuire, by sending your information to HIM for an
Contacts of Mr.Matthew T. McGuire , are as below;
Mr.Matthew T. McGuire,
Director of ATM Payment Department Bank of America.
Tel: (+1478) 239-8570
NOTE: FOR NON APPEARANCES, DO NOT CONTACT Mr.Matthew T. McGuire, IF YOU CAN NOT PAY FOR THE SHIPPING
OF YOUR ATM CARD. PLEASE CONTACT HIM THROUGH ABOVE INFORMATIONS WITH YOUR INFORMATIONS STATED
A COPY OF YOUR WESTERN UNION OR MONEY GRAM PAYMENT RECEIPT/INFORMATION FOR EXECUTION OF YOUR
Your Full Name:
Contact Home/Cell Phone:
A Scan Copy of your Identity:
Please make a Choice of delivery for the Shipping of your ATM CARD as they are as charged Below;
DHL COURIER COMPANY Shipping fee: $300.00 (1 day delivery) FedEx COURIER COMPANY Shipping fee:
$205.00 (2 day delivery) UPS COURIER COMPANY Shipping fee: $185 (3 day delivery) STANDARD PYRAMID
COURIER COMPANY SHIPPING FEE:$170 (3 day delivery)
Youre advised to send the shipping fees through western union or money gram transfer office with
below name and send/forward a copy of your money gram payment receipt for Immediate deliver you visa
card to your door step immediately
First Receiver Name: ANKOU
Second Receiver Name: AMEZOUME
Receiver Country- Benin republic
Test Question WHEN
Test Answer NOW
For oral discussion, you can reach Mr.Matthew T. McGuire, via email or phone his hot line given to
you above as soon as you receive this important message for further directions and also update him
on any development from the above mentioned office.
NOTE: Due to impostors, we hereby issued you our code of conduct, which is (ATM x2x), so you have to
indicate this code when contacting the card center by using it as your subject.
Chief Remittance Officer,
UBA, United Bank for African
In Respect of The World Bank@