fighting spam and scams on the Internet
Try our spam filter!
Free trial for 30 days

About Us

"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam

The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.

Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.

Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!

Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.

Click here to report a problem with this page.



Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:

Fraud email example:

From: "Roger" <>
Date: Thu, 19 Jul 2018 04:54:59 -0400
Subject: Investment Business


Am looking for a reliable person who will help me to invest US$25.5M in your Country which was already deposited in storage house and you are entitled of 30% for securing the fund then the remaining 70% is for me

Your urgent response is highly needed
Mr. Roger Steare
Qfinance London Clearing house
The Ultimate Financial Resource
3rd Floor, Vantage House,
6-7 Claydons Lane,
Rayleigh SS6 7UP United Kingdom

This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.

Anti-fraud resources: