fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "cost of transfer" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "confidentiality of this transaction" (scammers urge victims to keep the transaction secret because they don't want anyone to point out to them that it is a scam)
- "is 100% risk free" (almost true for the criminal trying to scam you - arrests of online criminals are rare)
- "economic financial crime commission" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- "farida mzamber waziri" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- "abuja" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Dr.Evans Egobia" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 3 Jul 2018 12:26:56 -0300
Subject: With Trust ..B
Federal Ministry of Agriculture and Natural Resources.
Federal capital territory Office.
complex block A,area 11
P.M.B.135 Garki Abuja.Fct
It is with trust and confidence that i write to make this urgent
business proposal to you.i was assigned by two of my colleague to
seek for a foreign partner who will assist us in providing a
convenient foreign account in any designated bank abroad for the
transfer of us$35,500,000.00 pending on our arrival in your
country for utilization and disbursement with the owner of the
this amount results from a deliberate inflation of the value of a
contract awarded by our ministry - the federal ministry of
agriculture (fma)to an expatriate company.the contract has been
executed and payment made to the original contractor,remaining the
over-invoiced amount of us$35.5 million,which we want to transfer
the funds out the country in our favour for disbursement among
ourselves.the transfer of this money can only be possible with the
help of a foreigner who will be presented as the beneficiary of
as government officials, we are not allowed to operate foreign
accounts,and this is the reason why we decided to contact you. we
have agreed that if you/your company can act as the beneficiary of
this fund (us$35,500,000.00 million)25% of the total sum will be
for you for providing the account while 5% will be set aside for
the expenses incurred during the cost of transfer of the fund into
your account while 70% will be reserved for us.
we hereby solicit for your assistance in providing a convenient
account number in a designated bank abroad where this fund would
be transferred.we intend coming over there on the completion of
this transfer to secure our own share of the money.
please note that we have been careful and have made all
arrangements towards the success and smooth transfer of the fund
to your account before you. for security reasons and
confidentiality of this transaction, we demand that you should not
expose this proposal and the entire transaction to anybody.
we are putting so much trust in you with the hope that you would
not betray us. or sit on this money when it is finally transferred
into your account.be rest assured that this transaction is 100%
risk free. if this proposal is acceptable to you,indicate your
interest by sending a email to us including your bank name &
address,account number,telephone and fax numbers.
note:our former president Dr.Good luck Ebele Jonathan collaborated
with the former chairman of the economic financial crime
commission ,Chief (Mrs.) Farida Mzamber Waziri to stop the junior
ranks officers from transferring funds out of the country. he
sent different publication to many countries in the world as
propaganda to discourage all government officials from
transferring funds into an overseas account to avoid and save
guides the countries economy.
apparently, so that other government officials will not benefits
from these( oil windfalls venture) where he has been a culprit
alone with his aides.more details about this transaction will be
given to you as soon as we receive your positive respond.
note that the particular nature of your company's business is
irrelevant to this transaction. if this transaction interests you,
your urgent response will be appreciated.
Private E-mail: email@example.com
El software de antivirus Avast ha analizado este correo electrÃ³nico en busca de virus.