fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a fake lottery scam. Consider the following facts about real lotteries:
- They don't notify winners by email.
- You can't win without first buying a lottery ticket.
- They don't randomly select email addresses to award prizes to.
- They don't use free email accounts (Yahoo, Hotmail, etc) to communicate with you.
- They don't tell you to call a mobile phone number.
- They don't tell you to keep your winnings secret.
- They will never ask a winner to pay any fees to receive a prize!
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "ABC LOTERIA BOARD" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun, 01 Jul 2018 06:13:09 -0700
Subject: ABC WINNERS FINAL NOTIFICATION
This is to inform you about the release of the 2017 International ABC Progr=
am LOTERIA, which was held on 22-12- 2017. Your Name and email address is a=
ttached to Pin Code: 51244 and ticket number: 2-102115 C with the serial nu=
mber: 51025-06011 which drew the lucky winning number of 5-1-2-4-4 and Impo=
rter 200. and won in the Second category. Therefore,a lump sum payout of =
=E2=82=AC 1.250,000.00 (One Million Two hundred and fifty thousand euros) i=
n cash is credited to REF:MJJ/768ES/18, BATCH N=C2=BA: 21017/ESP this is fr=
om a cash prize of =E2=82=AC 10.450,000.00 (Ten Million Four Hundred and Fi=
fty Thousand Euros) shared among the eleven international winners in the fo=
urth category. CONGRATULATIONS!!!
This ABC online lottery program was sponsor by google/yahoo/mail.com and ot=
her online five stars rated companies, this program was set-up to encourage=
the active users of the Google/yahoo search engine/ancillary services and =
other online services, as this promotion is organised annually.
To begin your lottery claim, Contact your foreign clerk agent Luis Alvaro o=
r Maria Castillo, of Fidelity Finance Spain,Tel: +34 602 684 740,Fax:+3491=
1820328,Email: email@example.com as he will advice you on the pro=
cess and the remittance of your winning fund on the provision specified by =
you. Do not forget that all winning prices must be claim before 29th. AUG 2=
018. After this date, the money is sent back to the Ministry of Economic Af=
fairs HACIENDA as unclaimed fund. =
NOTE: For further information about your winning, log-into our website:http=
l?importe=3D200 enter your winning number (51244) in the space of Comprueba=
tu d=C3=A9cimo, and enter 200 in the space of Importer(200) and click on B=
uscar(200 is the ticket price).Your winning will appear. Enclosed is paymen=
t processing form, please fill out and send it through e-mail or fax number=
Note: Once you have submitted the form and received your prize, please fill=
out the form again, indicate your representative and when your prize was a=
Please download the attached PDF document of the Winning Notification, fill=
out the form and send it back, by e-mail: firstname.lastname@example.org and f=
ax number: +34 911 82 03 28.
Congratulations once again.
Dr. Luis Ariza Sanchez
President Internacional Prize Department
ABC LOteria Board Espana
All trademarks and registered trademarks are the property of their respecti=
ve owners.ABC LOTERIA EASPANA
.Copyright =C2=A9 2017-2018. All rights reserved
This email was scanned for viruses by Avast Antivirus software.