fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "u.k " (this email uses bad English)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Samir Radwan" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 5 Jun 2018 03:48:37 -0700
Subject: Can you handle this?
I have a proposal for you, this however is not mandatory nor will I in any manner compel you to honor against your will.
Let me start by introducing myself, I am Samir Radwan a former Minister of Finance and one of the financial advisers to Ex President Muhammad Hosni El Sayed Mubarak the past Egyptian President who was ousted from power on February 11, 2011 during the Arab uprising. After the fall of President Hosni Mubarak and his regime on February 11, 2011, all we known associates of President Hosni Mubarak were detained and charged for corruption along side the Ex President and his sons. All monies and assets traced to us both in Egypt and abroad was confiscated by the caretaker government with the help of the European Union and the United States government; I almost lost all, over $100 Million and properties was confiscated from me.
During this trying period, I was able to conceal some investments I have in Europe which consists of $88M and 367KG of gold; and that I successfully did by moving $52M to London England, $36M to Spain and the 367KG of gold also to England. These investments where made as anonymous deposits, so that the funds will in no way be traced to me. I am still going to court and more properties traced to me are being confiscated, so I cannot be able to personally claim these hidden investments stated above. What I need now is an investor who would stand as the anonymous depositor of the fund and gold; and claim it for further investment.
Consequent upon the above, my proposal is that I would like you as a foreigner to stand in as the anonymous depositor of these funds and gold that I have successfully moved to Europe and claim if for our mutual benefit in further investments.There will be a careful network to ensure a hitch-free operation as all modalities for you to stand as beneficiary and owner of the deposits will be perfected. I am offering you 25% of the total money, 10% will be mapped out for refund of any expenses you incurred in the process of handling this deal and you will also invest the remaining 65% on our behalf for a duration of 10 year with remuneration of 10% annually from the profit after tax incurred in the investment, if you can be the investor and claim this deposits in U.K and Italy as the anonymous depositor.
Now my questions are:-
1. Can you handle this transaction?
2. Can I give you this trust?
Consider this and get back to me as soon as possible, so that I can give you more details regarding this transaction. Finally, it is my humble request that the information as contained herein be accorded the necessary attention, as well as the secrecy it deserves. I Expect your urgent response if you can handle this deal through my private email address (email@example.com).