fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
Fraud email example:
From: Dr P.George Cole <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Reply-To: Dr P.George Cole <email@example.com>
Date: Fri, 25 May 2018 01:36:32 +0800
Subject: Bank Transfer Notice
Office Of The Head
Zenith Bank (UK) Ltd
LONDON United Kingdom
Tel : +44 207 592 8409
Fax: +44 704 307 1539
Urgent Attention Sir/Madam
Subj: Bank Transfer Notice
I am Dr.P.George Cole,Head International Transfer Operation Zenith Bank(UK) Ltd United Kingdom.The World Bank Groups has set up to fight against scam and Fraudulent activities worldwide. This Group is responsible for investigating the legitimacy of unpaid contract, inheritance and lotto winning claims, Dating Scam by companies and individuals and directs the paying authorities (Banks) worldwide to make immediate payment of verified claims to the beneficiaries without further delay.
You are being legally contacted regarding the release of your long awaited fund. After a detailed review of your file, which has been officially approved by the management of World Bank Swiss (WBS) to credit the sum of US$10,500,000.00M Dollars into your bank account.
Also be informed that the Governor of Zenith Bank (UK) Ltd will sign on your payment advice and a copy of the advice will be sent to the World Bank in Swiss for some record purposes. Meanwhile your information and your full contact details were received from our research manager.Barrister Sarah Collins will act on your behalf to obtain a None Residential Clearance Form for immediate release of your fund.
This fund was part of the lodged Late President Saddam Hussein of Iraq discovery fund with World Bank of Switzerland, which the Swiss Bank has decided to distribute it generously to those that has been scamed and few lucky individuals,The New United Nations Secretary General Antonio Guterresthe and European Union (EU) is in agreement with the Swiss Bank to distribute the fund to 700 hundred thousand people in America, Europe & Asia and Africa in other to help improve lifes and businesses.
Therefore, reconfirm the the below information accurately, because this office cannot afford to be held liable for any wrong transfer of fund or liable of any fund credited into an unknown account.
The only thing required from you is to obtain the Non-Residential Clearance Form to enable us Fund your account directly by telegraphic transfer and send copy of the fund transfer documents to you and your bank for confirmation.
Be informed that I have started the processing of your payment,Should you follow our directives, your fund will be credited and reflect in your bank account within five (5) bank working days from
the day you obtain this Non-Residential Clearance Form.
Note that the above fund has been cleared from terrorist or fraud related activities.
You are advised to Re-include the followings below:
FULL CONTACT ADDRESS:
TELEPHONE and FAX NUMBERS:
Dr P.George Cole
Head,International Transfer Operation
Zenith Bank (UK) Ltd