fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united states dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "department of mineral resources" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Department of Mineral Resources" (may be fake)
Date: Sat, 12 May 2018 17:37:24 +0200
Subject: RE:: 11TH MAY 2018/FINAL ORDER
OFFICE OF THE MINISTER OF MINERAL RESOURCES
RE: PAYMENT NOTIFICATION / FINAL ORDER.
This is to draw your attention of an over-invoice unclaimed Foreign Contract Payment with the Federal
Government Department of Mineral Resources valued at US$95.7M (Ninety-Five Million Seven Hundred
Thousand United States Dollars) deposited in an secret vault (Escrow Bank Account) with an open
beneficiary and investment funds manager for claims in your name.
Following the official protocols, Please get back to me as soon as possible to enable us effect the over
invoice contract payment on your behalf for investment purposes.
Thanks for your co-operation
Mr. Chris T .Ramontja
Executive Board of Directors
This email has been checked for viruses by Avast antivirus software.