fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "from the desk of" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- "security keeping fee" (this will cost you money - be careful with upfront payments to anyone you only know through email, especially if they promise you a lot of money. NEVER send money by Western Union or MoneyGram to people you do not know personally - NO EXCEPTIONS! Instant wire transfer services are not meant to be used with strangers because they offer no protection against fraud. That is precisely why the criminals want you send money that way. )
- "fund beneficiary" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "diplomatic courier" ("diplomats" who perform deliveries of cash or other valuables to you only exist in 419 scams)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists mobile phone numbers. Use of such numbers is typical for scams because they allow criminals to conceal their true location. They can receive calls in an Internet cafe from where they send you emails, while pretending to be in some office.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
- fund: assigned agent: dr. paul gilstrap email: email@example.com office cell phone: +234809-147-3285 international monetary (Yahoo; can be used from anywhere worldwide)
Fraud email example:
From: "Christine M. Lagarde" (may be fake)
Date: Wed, 2 May 2018 15:22:50 +0800
Subject: IMF FUND ALERT!
IMF WORLD REGULATORY OFFICE
INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUNDS REGULATORY AUTHORITY
INTER-CONTINENTAL DEBT RECONCILIATION DEPT.
FROM THE DESK OF: MADAM CHRSITINE M. LAGARDE
The sum of $4.6 million. out of your over due total sum has been approved for payment through ATM cash card system after all attempts to pay you through bank, and
diplomatic courier failed.
I am glad to send you this email to notify you concerning your ATM CARD which is in our custody for the past few months. We want you to understand that the delivery
fees is being paid by the authorities and what you need to do now is to contact us immediately so that the delivery will commence to your door step as soon as
Note that you are to pay for the safe security keeping fees of your ATM CARD which is just $475 Dollars only, so that immediate effect will take place for the delivery
of your ATM CARD. If you know you won't be able to pay for the safe security keeping fee of your ATM CARD which is very mandated, please do not respond back to this
Please i repeat myself again if you know that you will not be able to pay for the safe security keeping of your ATM CARD which is $475 please i beg of you not to
respond to this email because it will not help the recovery process.
Do fill this information and get back to us as soon as You received this message, thereby sending this confidential details to this e-mail for security reasons or call
or text Mr. Paul Gilstrap for the immediate release of your fund:
ASSIGNED AGENT: Dr. Paul Gilstrap
Office Cell Phone: +234809-147-3285
INTERNATIONAL MONETARY FUND(IMF) :
Ms. Christine Madeleine Odette Lagarde
Reconfirm your mailing address. ===============================================
Personal Phone Number...........
Thanks for your understanding.
International Monetary Fund (IMF)
Sorry if you received this letter in your spam, Due to recent connection error here in the country.