fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "into your nominated bank account" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Dr. Larry Manos<email@example.com>
Date: 13 Apr 2018 10:51:09 -0700
Subject: PAYMENT SOLUTION
I am Dr. Larry Manos III, Department of Foreign Affairs Ministry Brooklyn New York, United States. My office monitors and controls the affairs of all
banks and financial institutions in United States concerned with foreign Over Due contract payments and Inheritance Payment released.I am the final
signatory to any transfer or remittance of huge funds moving within banks both on the local and international levels in line to foreign contracts
settlement with the New United States Governments.
I have before me the list of funds, which is billed to be transferred to some nominated accounts as these accounts have been identified either as
ghost accounts, unclaimed deposits and over-invoiced sum etc. I write to present you to the United States Government that you are among the people
expecting the funds to be transferred into their account, on this note; I wish to have a deal with you as regards to these unpaid certified contract
funds. I have every files before me and the data's will be changed to your name to enable you receive the fund into your nominated bank account as the
New beneficiary/Owner of the fund's amount $25.8 Million USD.
As it is my duty to recommend the transfer of these surplus funds to the United States Governments Treasury and Reserve Accounts as unclaimed
deposits. I have the opportunity to write you based on the instructions I received 2 days ago from the Senate Committee on Contract Payments /Foreign
Debts to submit the List of payment reports / expenditures and audited reports of revenues. Among several others, I have decided to remit this sum
following my idea that we have a deal/agreement and I am going to do this legally.
1. You will give me 40% of the contract funds as soon as you confirm it in your designated bank account.
2. This deal must be kept secret forever, and all correspondence will be strictly by email / telephone, for security purposes.
3. There should be no third parties as most problems associated with your fund release are caused by most agents or representative locally or
If you AGREE with my conditions, l will advise you on what to do immediately and the transfer will commence without delay as I will proceed to fix
your name on the Payment schedule instantly to meet the six days mandate that placed on the Funds Transfer by the Able President. I hope you don't
reject this offer as I will like to know your opinion in regards to this while I make every arrangement and have the funds transferred in your name
Waiting for your early reply soon.
In God We Trust.
Dr. Larry Manos III
Department of Foreign Affairs Ministry.
Office Complex, Brooklyn,
New-York, United States.
Official Email: Harry.firstname.lastname@example.org