fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "million dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "you are advice to " (this email uses bad English)
- "(efcc)" (This name is often mentioned in money recovery scams (re-scam): the real EFCC does not contact victims to offer to get their money back because that is near impossible. )
- "barrister" (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- "(ecowas)" (the name of a person or institution often appearing in 419 scams)
- "lagos" (a location commonly mentioned in 419 scams)
- "email@example.com" (this email address has been used in a known scam)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Ibrahim Mustafa Magu" <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Thu, 12 Apr 2018 08:02:14 -0700
Subject: Re: ECONOMICE & FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION (EFCC).
ECONOMIC & FINANCIAL CRIME COMMISSION (EFCC).
EFCC in alliance with economic community of West African states(ECOWAS) with head Office here in Nigeria.
We have been working towards the eradication of fraudsters and scam artists in Western part of Africa With the help of United States Government and the United Nations.
One of the corrupt official administrators Mr Ibrahim Lamorde has been sacked who happen to be the former EFCC chairman.
We have been able to track down so many of this scam artist in various parts of west African countries which includes (NIGERIA, REPUBLIC OF BENIN, TOGO,GHANA CAMEROON AND SENEGAL) and they are all in our custody
here in Lagos Nigeria.
We have been able to recover so much money from these scam artists.
The United Nations Anti-crime commission and the United State Government have ordered the money recovered from the Scammers to be shared among 100 Lucky people around the globe.
This email is being directed to you because your email address was found in one of the scam artists file on his computer hard disk in our custody here in Nigeria and with the information gathered from this Scam artist,we notice that you have been scammed of so some money and have decided to compensate you with a little token to recover the lost of your fund.
You are hereby being compensated with the total sum of $ 5.5 Million Dollars.
We have also arrested all those who claim that they are barristers,bank officials, Inheritance, Lottery Agents who have money for transfer or want you to be the next of kin of such funds which does not exist.
Since your name appeared among the 100 lucky beneficiaries who will receive a compensation of US $ 5.5 Million, we have made arrangement to register an Online Banking System through our Global Bank, where you will have full access to your Online Banking Account, to transfer your fund personally to your Private Bank Account with no complication of things or questioning as the Account will be fully registered in your Name.
Feel free to contact the processing officer MR.SAMUEL JAMES for the online Banking Processing.
This is made much easier for you to transfer your fund to your private Bank Account personally, to avoid any delay or complications.
With this Online Banking Transfer Process, you can only transfer the Maximum Amount of $500.000.00 USD daily / install mentally until the total amount of your Compensated / deposited fund is transferred and completely paid to you and also if you choose to recieve your payment VIA ATM CARD it is still accepted so you get back to her with your choice of payment.
So you are advice to contact the processing officer MR.SAMUEL JAMES with your provided information required for verification below.
CONTACT PERSON: MR. SAMUEL JAMES
CONTACT EMAIL ADDRESS: email@example.com
Provide the information below to enable the procession of your Online Banking Account for deposition of your total compensated fund.
1) YOUR FULL NAME.
2) YOUR ADDRESS.
3) YOUR TELEPHONE NUMBER.
4) YOUR OCCUPATION
5) YOUR IDENTITY.
Contact MR.SAMUEL JAMES with the information required for verification to enable her start the procession of your Online Banking Account Registration.
We guarantee your safety and wish you the best of luck.
Mr. Ibrahim Mustafa Magu
CHAIRMAN ECONOMIC & FINANCIAL CRIME
COMMISSION (EFCC)FOREIGN OPERATIONS DEPT,