fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- email@example.com (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Mr David Rogers <firstname.lastname@example.org>
Date: Sun, 18 Mar 2018 08:01:14 +0100
Subject: YOUR YOUR REPLY NEEDED IMMEDIATELY !!!!
23 Les Caches St. Martins,
Good day and happy more grace to you all lovers of gold and silver all over the world, LOVE GOLD AND JEWELRY COMPANY, we are very much blissful to
write this message to you.My Company came up with an idea of investing abroad for the development of a new factory branch in your country, we are
grateful to reach you via email as we are looking for a trustworthy,reliable and capable person to be our foreign representative. There is an
availability of funds which is mapped out and budgeted for this
Here below are the request we made to you with trust: 1. You are to claim the contract fund and build our factory branch in your country, as LOVE
GOLD AND JEWELRY COMPANY Representative. 2.You will be Head/Operation manager of our company in your country. 3.You are to look for a good and
lucrative environment that has good access road,were the company will be built.
If you considered your self qualified to handle this responsibility for our company for a better development, do get back to us by email:
email@example.com so that we can detail you extensively on this investment project.
All we need is to reach a Legal agreement with you through a lawyer, so that we can proceed with you and issue authorization to our bank to release
funds available to you.This organization has also considered five employment granted free from you, all we need is your sincerity and be of good
faith, Our company will be grateful to have you promote the industry and to be involve in the expansion of our industry.
Here below are the information needed from you urgently to commence the project.
1.Your Full Name.........................
5.Scan Copy Of Your Passport or Id
Yours Faithfully..............................................code 00154
Mr. David Rogers,
FOR THE LOVE GOLD AND JEWELRY COMPANY