fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "dear friend" (a common phrase found in 419 scams)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
Fraud email example:
From: "Ali Rohit" (may be fake)
Date: Tue, 24 Oct 2017 13:28:27 +0330
Subject: YOUR URGENT ASSISTANCE NEEDED FOR INVESTMENT OF 42,5M
RE-42,500,000.00(FOURTH TWO MILLION, FIVE HUNDRED THOUSAND EURO) FOR
I wish this proposals will not embarrass you as I had no previous correspondence with you.I am Mr.Ali Rohit,a Libyan nationality. My objective is to establish a viable business relationship with you. I was a member of Late.Col.Muammar Gaddafi 's regime. At the peak of rebel attack against our Government, it was unanimously agreed that every member of the cabinet fought to ensure we were not humiliate out of power, but at last the superior power of NATO some how disorganized our war plan. Hence the need for every one to stamped for safety. And to hide or take refuge in any opportunity.
Whilst am yet in a hide out since then trying to find my way out of Libya territory. But my most predicament is the available cash (42,500,000.00) at my disposal which I am willing to part to or your organization in OVERSEA there so you could invest it wisely into viable and profit yielding venture in your country. It is my cogent believe that the profit so accrued from the investment placement annually may be plough back to me for upkeep in any place or country I may finally granted refuge.
I am ready to dialogue and agree in terms and condition with you if you can accept this funds for investment on my behalf. Interestingly, I have arranged a professional packaging firm who could package the entire funds beyond any security intervention. And would be handled to a known Diplomat who is experienced in this field to deliver the cash to you in OVERSEAS under Diplomatic coverage tag. However, I earnestly advise you to keep this transaction absolutely confidential due to my safety.
Finally, no matter what your response may be, kindly advise me without any delay to enabling me know next line of action.