fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- "hundred thousand united state dollars" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- ",500,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "united state dollar" (this email uses bad English)
- "dear beneficiary," (this SPAM email was probably sent to thousands of people)
- "barr." (Barristers (lawyers) mentioned in 419 scams are always fake.)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: Andrew McCabe <email@example.com>
Date: Mon, 2 Oct 2017 11:37:23 -0700
Subject: FBI - ( NOTE ) .
Federal Bureau of Investigation (FBI)
Counter-terrorism Division and Cyber Crime Division
J. Edgar. Hoover Building Washington DC
Series of meetings have been held over the past 7 months with the secretary general of the United Nations Organization. This
ended 3 days ago. It is obvious that you have not received your fund which is to the tune of Eight Million and Five Hundred
Thousand United State Dollars ($8,500,000.00) due to past corrupt Governmental Officials who almost held the fund to
themselves for their selfish reasons and some individuals who have taken advantage of your fund all in an attempt to swindle
your fund which has led to so many losses from your end and unnecessary delay in the receipt of your fund. The National
Central Bureau of Interpol enhanced by the United Nations and Federal Bureau of Investigation have successfully passed a
mandate to the current president of United States Of America his Excellency President Donald Trump to boost the exercise of
clearing all foreign debts owned to you and other individuals and organizations who have been found not to have receive their
Contract Sum, Lottery/Gambling, Inheritance and the likes. Now how would you like to receive your payment? Because we have
two method of payment which is by Check or by ATM card?
ATM Card: We will be issuing you a custom pin based ATM card which you will use to withdraw up to $3,000 per day from any ATM
machine that has the Master Card Logo on it and the card have to be renewed in 4 years time which is 2021. Also with the ATM
card you will be able to transfer your funds to your local bank account. The ATM card comes with a handbook or manual to
enlighten you about how to use it. Even if you do not have a bank account.
Check: To be deposited in your bank for it to be cleared within three working days. Your payment would be sent to you via any
of your preferred option and would be mailed to you via DHL. Because we have signed a contract with DHL which should expire in next three weeks you will only need to pay $310 instead of $600 saving you $290. So if you pay before the three weeks you
save $290. Take note that anyone asking you for some kind of money above the usual fee is definitely a fraudster and you will
have to stop communication with every other person if you have been in contact with any. Also remember that all you will ever
have to spend is $310.00 Nothing more! Nothing less! And we guarantee the receipt of your fund to be successfully delivered
to you within the next 48hrs after the receipt of payment has been confirmed.
Note: Everything has been taken care of by the Federal Government, The United Nation and also the FBI including taxes, custom
paper and clearance duty so all you will ever need to pay is $310.
DO NOT SEND MONEY TO ANYONE UNTIL YOU READ THIS: The actual fees for shipping your ATM card is $600 but because DHL have
temporarily discontinued the C.O.D which gives you the chance to pay when package is delivered for international shipping We
had to sign contract with them for bulk shipping which makes the fees reduce from the actual fee of $600 to $310 nothing more
and no hidden fees of any sort!
To effect the release of your fund valued at $8,500,000.00 you are advised to contact our correspondent, the delivery officer
Bar Williams Darvis with the information below,
Name: Bar Williams Darvis
TELEPHONE: +1 (331) 999-0018
You are advised to contact him with the information's as stated below:
Your full Name :..............
Your Address :..............
Preferred Payment Method (ATM / Cashier Check)
Upon receipt of payment the delivery officer will ensure that your package is sent within 48 working hours. Because we are so
sure of everything we are giving you a 100% money back guarantee if you do not receive payment/package within the next
48hours after you have made the payment for shipping.
Andrew McCabe (ACTING DIRECTOR)
FEDERAL BUREAU OF INVESTIGATION
UNITED STATES DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE
WASHINGTON, D.C. 20535
Note: Do disregard any email you get from any impostors or offices claiming to be in possession of your ATM CARD, you are
hereby advice only to be in contact with Bar Williams Darvis ( firstname.lastname@example.org ) of the ATM CARD CENTRE who is the
rightful person to deal with in regards to your ATM CARD PAYMENT and forward any emails you get from impostors to this office
so we could act upon and commence investigation.