fighting spam and scams on the Internet
"419" Scam – Advance Fee / Fake Lottery Scam
The so-called "419" scam is a type of fraud dominated by criminals from Nigeria and other countries in Africa. Victims of the scam are promised a large amount of money, such as a lottery prize, inheritance, money sitting in some bank account, etc.
Victims never receive this non-existent fortune but are tricked into sending their money to the criminals, who remain anonymous. They hide their real identity and location by using fake names and fake postal addresses as well as communicating via anonymous free email accounts and mobile phones.
Keep in mind that scammers DO NOT use their real names when defrauding people.
The criminals either abuse names of real people or companies or invent names or addresses.
Any real people or companies mentioned below have NO CONNECTION to the scammers!
Read more about such scams here or in our 419 FAQ. Use the Scam-O-Matic to verify suspect emails.
Click here to report a problem with this page.
Some comments by the Scam-O-Matic about the following email:
- An email address listed inside this email has been used in a known fraud before.
- This email uses a separate reply address that is different from the sender address. Spammers use this to get replies even when the original spam sending accounts have been shut down. Also, sometimes the sender addresses are legitimate looking but fake and only the reply address is actually an email account controlled by the scammers.
- The following phrases in this message should put you on alert:
- ",000,000" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "00,000.00" (they want you to be blinded by the prospect of quick money, but the only money that ever changes hands in 419 scams is from you to the criminals)
- "remain blessed" (scammers in West Africa like to use religious phrases)
- This email message is a 419 scam. Please see our 419 FAQ for more details on such scams.
- This email lists free webmail addresses. Use of such addresses is typical for scams. Lotteries, banks and any but the smallest of companies do not normally use such addresses. Criminals use them to anonymously send and receive email at Internet cafes.
- firstname.lastname@example.org (email address has been used in a known fraud before)
Fraud email example:
From: "Mr. Bill Gates" <email@example.com>
Date: Sun, 01 Oct 2017 18:38:40 +0200
Greetings You have been gifted $5 MILLION USD From Mr Bill Gates. Contact m=
e at this email for your claim: firstname.lastname@example.org
I hope this information meet you well as I know you will be curious to kno=
w why/how I selected you to receive a sum of $5,000,000,00 USD, our informa=
tion below is 100% legitimate, please see the link below: https://en.wikipe=
I BILL GATES and my wife decided to donate the sum of $5,000,000,00 USD to =
you as part of our charity project to improve the 10 lucky individuals all =
over the world from our $65 Billion Usd I and My Wife Mapped out to help pe=
ople. We prayed and searched over the internet for assistance and i saw you=
r profile on Microsoft email owners list and picked you. Melinda my wife an=
d i have decided to make sure this is put on the internet for the world to =
see. as you could see from the webpage above,am not getting any younger and=
you can imagine having no much time to live. although am a Billionaire inv=
estor and we have helped some charity organizations from our Fund.
You see after taken care of the needs of our immediate family members, Befo=
re we die we decided to donate the remaining of our Billions to other indiv=
iduals around the world in need, the local fire department, the red cross, =
Haiti, hospitals in truro where Melinda underwent her cancer treatment, and=
some other organizations in Asia and Europe that fight cancer, alzheimer's=
and diabetes and the bulk of the funds deposited with our payout bank of t=
his charity donation. we have kept just 30% of the entire sum to our self f=
or the remaining days because i am no longer strong am sick and am writing =
you from hospital computer.and me and my wife will be traveling to Germany =
To facilitate the payment process of the funds ($5,000,000.00 USD) which ha=
ve been donated solely to you, you are to send me
your full names.................
your contact address................
your personal telephone number...............
SEND YOUR ABOVE DETAILS TO email@example.com
so that i can forward your payment information to you immediately. I am hop=
ing that you will be able to use the money wisely and judiciously over ther=
e in your City. please you have to do your part to also alleviate the level=
of poverty in your region, help as many you can help once you have this mo=
ney in your personal account because that is the only objective of donating=
this money to you in the first place.
Thank you for accepting our offer, we are indeed grateful You Can Google my=
name for more information: Mr Bill Gates or Bill & Melinda Gates Foundation
Mr Bill Gates